Coco Gauff Displays Sportsmanship with On-Court Message After Dashing British Wimbledon Hope

Coco Gauff showed her class immediately after defeating Britain’s newest Wimbledon star Sonay Kartal in the third round, commending the 22-year-old as soon as possible after securing her first professional victories at SW19 this year.

Kartal, the world No. 298 who captured British hearts this year with victories over Sorana Cirstea and Clara Burel, became the first home qualifier since 1977 to reach the third round.

And she put up a strong fight against the second seed on Court 1, but could not keep pace with her American opponent and ended up losing 6-4, 6-0.

Kartal received a huge standing ovation as she left the court, with Gauff joining in, before the world No. 2 was asked to speak and immediately praised her opponent, wishing her well for the future.

“I thought I played really well, she was playing really well at a high level, especially at the first set,” Gauff said in her on-court interview. “It’s been a great tournament for her and I know how special it is to play at home, so I am happy that she had such a good tournament and hopefully she’ll be back for many more in the future.

“I think this is my first time playing a British player here. I was a little nervous honestly. I knew you guys would be for her which is totally understandable… thankfully you guys were pretty nice to me

She was playing at a high level, she was playing at a high level, she wasn’t giving me much to work with and does a good job of mixing up her variety so you never feel settled. She’s obviously a very quick player so I was just trying to make less mistakes and I felt that I was going for the right shots, just missing, but eventually I found it and I was able to do well.

“Honestly playing in front of the British crowd is great, you guys are always so respectful and very engaged, I really appreciate that.”

Victory over Kartal has set up an all-American last 16 with Emma Navarro, who Gauff knows well and has already brushed Diana Shnaider, Naomi Osaka and Wang Qiang aside this week.

Melania Trump joined husband Donald Trump on stage as he finished his remarks on the final night of the RNC. It marked Melania's first appearance at the RNC this week and her time this election cycle publicly joining Trump at a major campaign event.
CELEBRITY29 mins ago

Melania Trump joined husband Donald Trump on stage as he finished his remarks on the final night of the RNC. It marked Melania’s first appearance at the RNC this week and her time this election cycle publicly joining Trump at a major campaign event.

sabella Strahan is on her road to a full recovery. The 19-year-old daughter of "Good Morning America" co-anchor Michael Strahan shared that she is officially cancer-free in a new YouTube video posted Thursday. Earlier this year, Isabella Strahan publicly revealed she had been diagnosed with medulloblastoma, a type of brain tumor. "It was a great, great scan," she said with a smile on her face. "Everything was clear. Cancer-free and everything is great."
CELEBRITY36 mins ago

Isabella Strahan is on her road to a full recovery. The 19-year-old daughter of “Good Morning America” co-anchor Michael Strahan shared that she is officially cancer-free in a new YouTube video posted Thursday. Earlier this year, Isabella Strahan publicly revealed she had been diagnosed with medulloblastoma, a type of brain tumor. “It was a great, great scan,” she said with a smile on her face. “Everything was clear. Cancer-free and everything is great.”

Anthony Hopkins explains why he continues to act at the age of 86: “I’m 86 and I wake up in the morning and go ‘oh, I’m still here.’ I have a sense of mischief about it.”
CELEBRITY41 mins ago

Prince William and Kate Middleton share image of Charlotte and Louis in England shirts watching Euros final at home as they hail Three Lions' 'teamwork, grit and determination' as an 'inspiration to young and old'

Prince William and Kate Middleton share image of Charlotte and Louis in England shirts watching Euros final at home as they hail Three Lions’ ‘teamwork, grit and determination’ as an ‘inspiration to young and old’

Inside Kate Middleton's comeback: Royal sent message of hope to fans as she made triumphant return to Wimbledon, her favourite event of the year - no wonder she got a standing ovation
NEWS10 hours ago

Inside Kate Middleton’s comeback: Royal sent message of hope to fans as she made triumphant return to Wimbledon, her favourite event of the year – no wonder she got a standing ovation

Jennifer Lopez reveals her washboard abs and ripped physique after hitting a gym in the Hamptons with friend Benny Medina - amid Ben Affleck marriage turmoil

Jennifer Lopez reveals her washboard abs and ripped physique after hitting a gym in the Hamptons with friend Benny Medina – amid Ben Affleck marriage turmoil

Just In: Delta, United and American Airlines flights grounded due to communication issue, FAA says. Watch Video Below 👇👇👇
Entertainment12 hours ago

Ben Affleck's harsh warning to daughter Violet revealed - as 18-year-old struggles to deal with 'ridicule' over her fervent pro-mask speech

Ben Affleck’s harsh warning to daughter Violet revealed – as 18-year-old struggles to deal with ‘ridicule’ over her fervent pro-mask speech

Renowned businessman and author Robert Kiyosaki, famous for his bestselling 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' series reveals the 5 books he think will change your... see more

Renowned businessman and author Robert Kiyosaki, famous for his bestselling ‘Rich Dad, Poor Dad’ series reveals the 5 books he think will change your… see more

Penny Lancaster, 53, wows in a tiny black bikini as she soaks up the sun with husband Rod Stewart, 79, on £50million yacht in Sardinia

Arrow star Stephen Amell explains why he decided to join SAG-AFTRA picket line in NYC after saying he didn't support act of striking: 'I didn't choose my words as carefully as I should'

Arrow star Stephen Amell explains why he decided to join SAG-AFTRA picket line in NYC after saying he didn’t support act of striking: ‘I didn’t choose my words as carefully as I should’

Suits: LA gets its star! Controversial Arrow actor Stephen Amell to lead NBC's Suits spinoff - but a Meghan Markle cameo looks unlikely after Royal distanced herself from acting career

Suits: LA gets its star! Controversial Arrow actor Stephen Amell to lead NBC’s Suits spinoff – but a Meghan Markle cameo looks unlikely after Royal distanced herself from acting career