Oprah Winfrey recalls being body shamed by Joan Rivers on The Tonight Show: ‘I’ll let you come back if you lose 15 pounds’

Oprah Winfrey recalls being body shamed by Joan Rivers on The Tonight Show: 'I'll let you come back if you lose 15 pounds'

Oprah Winfrey recalled the moment she was body-shamed by the late Joan Rivers while making her first appearance on The Tonight Show in 1985.

The talk show host, 70, remembered being interviewed by Rivers and shared her reaction to being called out over her weight while appearing on The Jamie Kern Lima Show podcast.

‘I’ve been shamed on The Tonight Show by Joan Rivers. I had my first appearance on The Tonight Show,’ she shared.

Joan Rivers turns to me and she says, “Tell me, why are you so fat?”… on national television,’ Oprah – who has admitted to using weight loss drugs – went on.

‘And I don’t know what to do with that. I just am like, “Well, I just love potato chips, Joan.” She [goes], “No seriously! Shame on you! Shame on you!”‘

The media mogul then shared that Rivers told her she could return to the late-night show if she lost weight.

‘”I’ll let you come back if you lose 15 pounds. You need to lose 15 pounds.” She says to me on national television.’

‘And I accepted. I accept that I should be shamed because how dare me, be sitting up here on The Tonight Show.’

Oprah said she ‘had agreed that I was going to go away and lose 15 pounds,’ but stated that instead she ended up gaining weight.

‘Of course, I didn’t lose the 15 pounds. I went and ate my way to another 10 pounds,’ she shared.

Oprah shared that she had previously auditioned for 1985’s The Color Purple but did not hear back anything at the time and assumed she didn’t get the role because she was ‘overweight.’

She then decided to go away to a ‘health retreat’ to lose weight, explaining ‘at the time, they called them “fat farms.”‘

While there, Winfrey says she tried to accept that her weight had cost her the role, and she let go of her dream of starring in the film.

BREAKING NEWS Patrick Mahomes and wife Brittany throw gender reveal party as couple announce whether third child is a boy or girl with adorable Tic-Tac-Toe game
CELEBRITY5 mins ago

Melania Trump joined husband Donald Trump on stage as he finished his remarks on the final night of the RNC. It marked Melania's first appearance at the RNC this week and her time this election cycle publicly joining Trump at a major campaign event.
CELEBRITY49 mins ago

Melania Trump joined husband Donald Trump on stage as he finished his remarks on the final night of the RNC. It marked Melania’s first appearance at the RNC this week and her time this election cycle publicly joining Trump at a major campaign event.

sabella Strahan is on her road to a full recovery. The 19-year-old daughter of "Good Morning America" co-anchor Michael Strahan shared that she is officially cancer-free in a new YouTube video posted Thursday. Earlier this year, Isabella Strahan publicly revealed she had been diagnosed with medulloblastoma, a type of brain tumor. "It was a great, great scan," she said with a smile on her face. "Everything was clear. Cancer-free and everything is great."
CELEBRITY55 mins ago

Isabella Strahan is on her road to a full recovery. The 19-year-old daughter of “Good Morning America” co-anchor Michael Strahan shared that she is officially cancer-free in a new YouTube video posted Thursday. Earlier this year, Isabella Strahan publicly revealed she had been diagnosed with medulloblastoma, a type of brain tumor. “It was a great, great scan,” she said with a smile on her face. “Everything was clear. Cancer-free and everything is great.”

Anthony Hopkins explains why he continues to act at the age of 86: “I’m 86 and I wake up in the morning and go ‘oh, I’m still here.’ I have a sense of mischief about it.”
CELEBRITY1 hour ago

Prince William and Kate Middleton share image of Charlotte and Louis in England shirts watching Euros final at home as they hail Three Lions' 'teamwork, grit and determination' as an 'inspiration to young and old'

Prince William and Kate Middleton share image of Charlotte and Louis in England shirts watching Euros final at home as they hail Three Lions’ ‘teamwork, grit and determination’ as an ‘inspiration to young and old’

Inside Kate Middleton's comeback: Royal sent message of hope to fans as she made triumphant return to Wimbledon, her favourite event of the year - no wonder she got a standing ovation
NEWS11 hours ago

Inside Kate Middleton’s comeback: Royal sent message of hope to fans as she made triumphant return to Wimbledon, her favourite event of the year – no wonder she got a standing ovation

Jennifer Lopez reveals her washboard abs and ripped physique after hitting a gym in the Hamptons with friend Benny Medina - amid Ben Affleck marriage turmoil

Jennifer Lopez reveals her washboard abs and ripped physique after hitting a gym in the Hamptons with friend Benny Medina – amid Ben Affleck marriage turmoil

Just In: Delta, United and American Airlines flights grounded due to communication issue, FAA says. Watch Video Below 👇👇👇
Entertainment12 hours ago

Ben Affleck's harsh warning to daughter Violet revealed - as 18-year-old struggles to deal with 'ridicule' over her fervent pro-mask speech

Ben Affleck’s harsh warning to daughter Violet revealed – as 18-year-old struggles to deal with ‘ridicule’ over her fervent pro-mask speech

Renowned businessman and author Robert Kiyosaki, famous for his bestselling 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' series reveals the 5 books he think will change your... see more

Renowned businessman and author Robert Kiyosaki, famous for his bestselling ‘Rich Dad, Poor Dad’ series reveals the 5 books he think will change your… see more

Penny Lancaster, 53, wows in a tiny black bikini as she soaks up the sun with husband Rod Stewart, 79, on £50million yacht in Sardinia

Arrow star Stephen Amell explains why he decided to join SAG-AFTRA picket line in NYC after saying he didn't support act of striking: 'I didn't choose my words as carefully as I should'

Arrow star Stephen Amell explains why he decided to join SAG-AFTRA picket line in NYC after saying he didn’t support act of striking: ‘I didn’t choose my words as carefully as I should’